Thursday, March 5, 2015

Miracle Mile (1988)

For the most updated information and pictures, go to Set-Jetter.com




One of my very favorite "college" films was Miracle Mile.  It always made great late night viewing and I loved the is-it-true-or-not storytelling. If you haven't seen it yet, do so now!

While I had popped by the diner and tar pits before, I thought on my latest trip I should do a true locations visit, so here we go.  First up, the La Brea Tar Pits and museum....











Screenshots....












Comparison shots...



A quick detour to the Santa Monica Pier merry-go-round.  The first three shots are recent, the last one is from a trip there in 1988, about as close as I could get to the time of filming!





Screenshots....



Comparison shot...


I love Pan Pacific Park, just wish I could have seen "Xanadu" for myself before it burnt down.  Otherwise, the performance area looks the same...




Screenshots....




Comparison shot....


The May building, now home to the Hollywood Costume Museum....



Screenshots....


 Comparison shot....

A view up the street of the museum....


Screenshots....



Comparison shot...

Thanks to my friend, Rayen, for pointing out that I easily missed the Chateau Marmont as Harry's apartment...


Screenshots....




Comparison shots...



And good ol' Johnie's.   Not much has changed except for the sign.  I'm not sure when the last time it was ever really open as it is now just used for filming...








Screenshots....

 




Comparison shots....





Here are a few interior shots...














Screenshots....








Comparison shots....




Back to the museum, this is the area where Harry pushed Julie in the shopping cart...






Screenshots....







Comparison shot...

The spot by the stairs where they go running....




Screenshots....




Comparison shot....

Running down the stairs towards the street....



Screenshots....



Comparison shots....


A shot of the helipad building as they exit the museum....



Screenshots....



Comparison shot...

Here is where Julie sees her parents together for the last time....



Screenshots....




Comparison shot....

The entrance to the helipad building....





Screenshots....







Comparison shots....



Another quick shot of the museum as Harry goes looking for help....

Screenshots....



Comparison shot....


One of my favorite location spots was the oh-so-80's gym....




Screenshots....



Comparison shot....

It is now a double set of doors, but otherwise similar....



Screenshots....



Comparison shot....

A long shot from outside the gym, and to where a parking garage used to be....



Screenshots....



Comparison shot...

Here's the spot where Harry goes after Julie up the street....





Screenshots....





Comparison shots...



Some shots of the diner from where the department store used to be...








Screenshots....




And a few more shots as Harry & Julie make their way back to the diner...

Screenshots....






Comparison shot....

The diner's final appearance in the film....




Screenshots....







Comparison shot....

This area has changed the most, but this is the sidewalk Harry & Julie run down to make one last attempt to get to the helicopter....




Screenshots....



 Why it's Steve Hammond!
Comparison shot....

I didn't get a good shot during the visit, so here's a Google street view image of where they set up the electronics store....

One last look....

My friend was braver than me and went inside to take some pictures.  Not sure if this is the exact spot, but obviously a lot of renovation and redecorating has happened.....





Screenshots....








Comparison shot...



Barely in the movie but getting opening credit is Kelly Jo Minter!






Blu-ray cover art!






8 comments:

  1. Great blog entry! So glad this is finally coming out on Blu Ray in July. With an alternate ending, and commentaries!
    And I am glad you were able to use the elevator shots. I just wish I could have taken the elevator to the roof. JDR :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you hear its coming out on blu ray in July??
    im looking all over the place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you hear it was coming out on blu ray in July???
    Im searching all over the place!!
    I love this movie!! You kids fancy a tubesteak??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had a milkshake at Johnie's in late 1991 or early 1992, must have closed shortly after. Of course we were inspired to go there because of the movie! One of my favorite movies, I enjoyed your blog.

    ReplyDelete

  5. This is how from long time i was searching for Miracle Mile the great site at end by visiting your website my search comes to an end this post post really full of knowledge which is really mean to me thanks for sharing this amazing post.....!

    Watch movie online

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog!!!
    2018 and I only have discovered the Miracle Mile last night! Yes it’s true. I’m not a big film buff, originally from the UK I now live in Australia. Last week I came across the short film Kung Fury. I spent time searching all the soundtracks from the movie. One was called Nuclear by lost years. I searched it out on YouTube. I cam across one with a video, in the bio it said the footage was from the film Miricle Mile. So at 11pm last night at the age of 45 I watched Miricle Mile for the first time! The cafe scene is simply outstanding, it should go down as one of the greatest scenes in cinema. I must have watched about twenty times already. This evening I have been looking at sound tracks and film locations and came across your website! A great post you must of had some fun doing it! Thank you for sharing. Best regards David Goddard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome. It's a great movie. At one time it seemed a bit dated with the threat of nuclear war, but with our current 'president', it is all too real!

      Delete