Saturday, April 12, 2014

Saving Mr. Banks (2013)



I never quite got into the original Mary Poppins film, but fell in love with the musical version after seeing a few times on Broadway.   The "real story" here ends up being a "reel story" with more embellishments than facts unfortunately.   Knowing that a lot of stuff was made up and reworked for dramatic purposes takes away from the film quite a bit.   But let's get to some locations, shall we?

First up is the bookend scenes of the film, shot at the Los Angeles Arboretum...









Screenshots....








The next location is the house the family moves from, located at the Heritage Museum in Los Angeles....





Screenshots....






Here is the multi-colored house next door...




Screenshots...



A trip over to Universal Studios' courtyard for the next shots....


Screenshots....



Also at Universal Studios is the Western location the film used...






Screenshots....




The car wash she drives by with disgust for no reason...



Screenshots...



Last fall I stayed at the Langham Huntingont in Pasadena, so when I eventually saw the film, I knew immediately it was not the Beverly Hills Hotel.   Here are some shots I took, but as I had not seen the film yet, I wasn't matching up exact hallways and locations...



Screenshots....




For the pool scenes, they covered the balconies to make it look more like the Beverly Hills Hotel...






Screenshots....



I have not been to Disneyland since 1985, so here is a shot from way back...

Screenshot....


I have been the the Disney Studios in Burbank many times to have lunch with my friend.  I haven't been since seeing the film, so these shots aren't "lined up" to match, but you get the general idea...













Screenshots....
























While at the studios, they usually have some great props on display, including this one!






No comments:

Post a Comment